31 October 2008

Fri, Oct 31, 2008

Ola everyone!

Life at the MTC continues to be crazy, and awesome. Elder Perry came this week, i always like hearing from Apostles, we had a great devotional review afterward. Devotional reviews are things we do as a district where we talk about the devotional and what stood out with us and such, it was great. So lets see what's new this week.

I taught in Portuguese, that was something. I think i did pretty ok with the Portuguese, although our teaching ability went way down generally, we need to work on asking questions and really involve the people. One of our faux investigators fell asleep, but he's sort of like that, we had him last week, he's hard to teach, he doesn't go along with the faux teaching. But yeah, Portuguese is lots and lots of fun. I can't wait until i can speak it without translating in my head, because that's getting a little bit tiring actually.

Also this week, i got a real investigator! Every week we go to the RC and call people who ordered books of mormon and such, and i ended talking to this guy for like 40 minutes about life and such, and set up a return appointment to call him again. I talked to him a bit earlier this week to set up a solid time on saturday, so tomorrow morning i'm going to call and basically teach him the first discussion and try to commit him to taking visits with the missionaries. It's so cool teaching real people! I was talking to him about mercy and justice and how everything we do returns to us in this life or the next, and he asked something along the lines of, "but there's got to be like different levels in heaven right? I mean everybody can't just go to one place or the other" I was super happy, i read him the scripture in first Corinthians about kingdoms of glory, it's so different to talk to real people with real problems and real questions. I've had some great experiences teaching people pretending to have that, but it just doesn't compare.

What else, I went to the temple and did sealings today, that was cool. I think i like sessions more, but we had to get a haircut, so there was no time. I have a legitimate missionary haircut now, it's really very short, but that's cool.

Que mais....I'm still the district leader, I don't know if i mentioned that there was a chance i could get switch, but yeah, nothing has changed, I'm ok with that, I like being District leader, there's a small chance that my companion and I will get called as District leader on Sunday-ish, but i don't expect to, but we'll see. I always feel like i should have more to say in these, but not a whole lot changes at the MTC. Weeks blow by, but nothing major changes. I got new roommates this week, they're pretty awesome.

We talked a bit about the gift of tongues this week, and how it applies after all we work hard. It seems like that's a pretty general truth in the gospel, that God will do everything for you after you've done everything you can, which is nice. I spend a little time reading the new testement, not too much since we're encouraged to read mostly out of the book of mormon, and my free time is pretty sparse right now, but when ever i read the bible it amazes me how anyone can have any understanding fo scripture at all and not believe that the church is true. It's not like we have all these crazy ideas that came from no where, it's all in the bible too.

So what else, life is good, i seem to have avoided the dreaded MTC cold, which is nice. My leg has been hurting a bit from where i got it pinched in the see-saw (i don't remember if i told you that story, it's a good story), i went to the nurse and she said to take 600 mg of advil at every meal and see if the pain goes away. It did, but taking 9 advil a day is just a little much for me, so i'm going to avoid playing soccer for the rest of the MTC (the sacrifices we make...) and see if it takes care of it self. It's not bad pain, it's just the kind of thing i don't want to have for the next two years.

The weather is still really nice here. It's probably about 80 degrees, but today it's got that cusp feeling, and it looks like we're about to start winter off.

Today i took a picture in front of the MTC sign, and had every intention to sent that, but then i got to laundry and realized that I had forgotten my camera chord, so i'll send those off next week, perhaps.

Well, that's about all that's going on on the Mission Front. As of today, i haven't gotten my voting ballot, so hopefully that will come in, but if not, I'll survive. Tchau.

Love,
Ammon